Friday, July 20, 2007

Back

The funeral was my grandmother's. She was 93 and went rather quickly and quietly. She would've been rather miffed about the quickly and quietly bit, she loved a good scene. But we filled the church to the roof with bright pink roses and sang Knees Up Mother Brown and howled into our hankies. She would've enjoyed that.

I loved her as much as my Gran but she was a strange bugger. She declared herself not racist but couldn't stand "bloody foreigners". She was also utterly convinced there were None Of Those* in our family but terrified I'd was turning into One Of Them and didn't dare mention it in case she tipped me over the edge. She was also convinced Liberace and Rock Hudson were straight.

Death seems to be stalking my family. It's all been a bit much frankly. Let's look at some photos instead.

Homemade kayak Maritime Museum Fremantle Western Australia

In 1929 12 year olds Jim Dix and John Murton built two of these out of a bit of tin (galvanised iron) and launched them off Freo. They were going to paddle round from Howard Street to Fishermans Harbour.

But their boat-building skills weren't up to the job and a couple of hundred metres offshore, John's boat filled up and sank under him. He couldn't swim and when Jim tried to pull him into his boat, John panicked and nearly drowned them both. Jim got them back to shore somehow and they were found by passersby. John had swallowed a fair bit of water and spent a week in hospital and Jim got a certificate of merit from the Royal Humane Society of Australasia.

Maritime Museum at Freo Harbour.

Fish in reeds Maritime Museum Fremantle Western Australia

A rather gloomy fish. Don't know why I like it but I do.

Whaling boat Maritime Museum Fremantle Western Australia
Embiggen

Man versus Moby. You'd want to be bloody well paid to go out in a boat that size to poke a whale with a harpoon.

Whalers' Tunnel post


* One Of Those is DOT Speak for a queer person.

5 comments:

Suzanne44 said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Knees Up Mother Brown sounds like a rollicking good tune - I think I'd like that, myself.

Aesthetic said...

Sorry about your grandmother. Love these pics though, esp the sad-looking little fishy.

Inexplicable DeVice said...

I expect she's giving The Powers That Be a good telling off for the 'quickly and quietly' bit?

Anonymous said...

Its so good to have you back
Im sorry for your loss too
I hope your ok..
Pattie.xxx

Spike said...

Suzanne, thank yer. I heartily recommend KUMB for funerals. It produces a rather bizarre but stress-relieving effect when sung as the coffin is sliding off between those wee curtains.

Aesthetic, thank yer. I think that wee fish is contemplating its lack of success on the fishy dating scene.

Device dear, you couldn't be more right.

Pattie, thank yer. It's been a bloody awful couple of months but I'll live.