Friday, September 16, 2005

Walkies Musings

Before I started this walkies thing I thought the Peninsula was all pretty samey-y. Views near the water and from the ridge streets obviously but otherwise a bit dull and same-y.

Not so.

Sometimes I'm walking in what feels like an endless tract of flat suburban streets, sometimes I'm so close to the ridgeside it feels like I'm way out in the bush, sometimes I'm wandering beside dark secretive houses with tangled overgrown gardens like something of a creepy movie set, sometimes up on the ridge there's so much view I know how it feels to be rich and sometimes, like today, it's like I'm in the mountains.

That doesn't just make Woy Woy more interesting. It also makes it feel bigger. When I started this, the Peninsula felt big. There was a lot of it I'd never laid eyes on and I didn't know how long it took to walk from one end to the other. When I was about halfway through the Walk, I'd found out how far it is from end to end and it felt small. Now I've seen almost every street it feels big again. Not huge but comfortably big. Like a small country. It's got all the amenities I need, it's got rich bits and poor bits, suburbia and busy streets full of shops, a beach and a river, forests and off-shore islands, and even its own tiny mountain range in the form of the ridges.

Before I started it was a nice place to live. Now I know it better it's a very rich environment.

Next walk

2 comments:

Suzanne44 said...

Sounds like heaven.

Spike said...

*nodding sagely*