Monday, February 06, 2006

Dubyas

(Woy Woy Walk #77)

Good day for photos. Clear blue skies. Did some more lanes then the area around the McMasters Road end of Springwood Street. There's half a dozen streets there all starting with W. Waitangi, Warrigal, Waterloo, Warwick, Wallaby, Wyalong and Wyoming. The concentration of fifties houses is high there in that area bounded by McMasters and Gallipoli on the north and south and Ocean Beach Road and Memorial Avnue on the west and east. Another settlement pattern partly uncovered.

Inkerman Avenue lane view
(Big version)

A modern take on the fifties in Inkerman Avenue. This place is taking a long time to build. I went past it in June or July last year and there wasn't much difference.

Inkerman Avenue
(Big version)

Back and front and the original fifties house next door. This is also the best shot of the house next door. It had a big tree in its garden almost entirely obscuring it.

Inkerman Avenue
(Big version)

I'm presuming they'll bung a hedge or some other thick plants in the planter of that fence. That'd look rather pleasant.

Springwood Street
(Big version)

This one looks dead boring until you notice the back going up in the opposite direction. I think it would look pretty good without the carport and the bush in the front garden.

Springwood Street cnr of lane
(Big version)

Thought this one might be all repro at first but looking up under the eaves I could see old white fibro so it's the real deal.

Wallaby Street
(Big version)

Not sure if this one's a rental or not. Houses scheduled for demolition or other forms of development tend to be. The veranda looks new enough but that yellow sign in the right corner is a development pre-approval sign. There was the same sign on the house across the road.

Wallaby Street
(Big version)

This one's suffered a bit over the years from reno's but the basic shape is still there.

Commonwealth Avenue at the corner of Wallaby Street
(Big version)

The blue is nice but this one would look better all in white. Note the tiny flat over the garage out the back. Usually on the Peninsula the whole garage is made into a flat but this sort is common enough.

Wallaby Street
(Big version)

It's good to see one still in a fifties colour and without any additions or alterations at the front.

Some of these photos, the ones in full shade for example, need to be re-taken at some point. But I learned my lesson when my favourite old shop was demolished before I got a photo and now I take 'em when I see 'em.

Felt bloody ordinary when I got up this morning. Chunderous and crapulent. But my walk sorted me out. Even though I've been a bit crook (ill) again lately, I'm miles ahead of where I was this time last year and I owe much of that to this walkies business. It's brought me back to life and perked me up with constantly changing scenery.

2 comments:

Tickersoid said...

One of the enduring images I took away from Sydney was the range of architecure over looking Botany bay. Nice Photo's.

Spike said...

Ta.

Haven't been to Botany Bay myself yet. There's a decent range overlooking the main harbour (Port Jackson) too, the Opera House and the Bridge being the most memorable.

When were you here?