Friday, June 02, 2006

Blackwall Road

(Random walkies)

Nice brisk walk this morning. Quite cold. The traffic was going towards the station and I was going the other way. Got plenty of resentful stares from drivers who'd rather be going walkies than going to work. I grinned back smarmily.

Blackwall Road Woy Woy
(Big version)

Lovely veranda on a smart bungalow (circa 1890 - circa 1915) on Blackwall Road. I've not seen a wooden veranda rail on a bungalow before but there's an example of one in my architectural styles book. The pendants and finials (pointy bits attached to the gables) also appear on bungalows so they're not, as I suspected, a recent addition in the spirit of Federation Revival.

St Luke's Blackwall Road Woy Woy
(Big version)

St Luke's on the corner of Billabong Street. A local landmark ("Look for the wee white church and MacMasters Road is just after that") and nice little bit of Federation Carpenter Goth (circa 1890 - c. 1915). The side windows have yellow glass and are pointy.

Blackwall Road Woy Woy
(Big version)

Thought this fifties garage would be knocked down by now. It's maybe a year since it fell empty and the fence went up. Glad I got a photo of it while it's still standing. I'm expecting to see another retirement village in its place sooner or later.

Half the shops in Deepwater (Woy Woy shopping centre) had half off their stuff. Struggled through Kmart and fought my fellow sufferers for a new pair of strides and a wooly scarf. God, I hate shopping. Retail therapy my arse. My walk and struggling through the shops warmed me up nicely. Sun's gone now. There's a cold wind and it looks like rain. I'm going to put my feet up and have a nice hot cuppa.

2 comments:

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Hope your cuppa warmed you up. Although I would have thought the feelings of smug smarmyness would have lasted long enough to keep you warm!

Spike said...

It did indeed. Had had to put the heater on since though. Who'd've thunk it in winter.

Smug smarminess I find only keeps one warm for more than ten minutes when the ambient temperature is 16 degrees over freezing. Which is it currently not. Currently it is pissing down raining and colder than a witch's tit at 500 feet. Though I epect that's only if you forget to rug up warm.